In The Words Of MJ…..It Doesn’t Matter If You’re Black Or White

29 Jun

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.
~Dr. Seuss

It’s not often I am shocked by something that doesn’t concern me, and it is rare that someone’s opinion bothers me enough to have a rant about it. Opinion is opinion, and it is MY opinion that you can’t belittle what someone has to say. It’s their expression of themselves, and whether or not you agree with it or not, it’s their thought.

But I read a blog today, and I’ve been thinking about it all afternoon. It really annoyed me. And saddened me a little about the state of the human race. I can’t link to the specific post because I stumbled to it and quickly stumbled away, but in all honesty I wouldn’t want to give the satisfaction of people clicking through to the guy who wrote it.

The first post (yep, sad to say there was more than one) was about homophobia, and how much this guy hated gay people. It annoyed me, but not enough to care too much. Personally I have friends who are gay, friends who are lesbians, and friends who no one really knows. But I think the key point here is that no one really cares either.

Everybody’s journey is individual. If you fall in love with a boy, you fall in love with a boy. The fact that many Americans consider it a disease says more about them than it does about homosexuality.
~James Baldwin

Whether you sleep with Ken or Barbie, you do it on your own time and it’s nothing to do with me. I don’t think that your sexuality has anything to do with whether or not you are my friend, how much I rely on you or in what measure you make me laugh, so why would it make me not like you as a person? Without getting to know you at all? But some people feel intimidated by gay people, and whether I agree with that or not, that is their issue.

(all human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights)

But the second post really did it for me. Apparently the guy is a massive racist too. So not only does he discriminate against people on who they like to sleep with, but he also has a massive issue with the colour of a person’s skin (by this point I was absolutely furious and had to resist not having a massive rant on his actual scummy blog. After all, opinions…) I can’t tolerate this. maybe I’M small minded, maybe I’m not seeing it from his point of view, but how on earth can the colour of a person’s skin negate whether you like them or not, and going a step further, whether you choose to openly slag them off, without ever having spoken to them. It takes stereotypes a whole lot further.

One day our descendants will think it incredible that we paid so much attention to things like the amount of melanin in our skin or the shape of our eyes or our gender instead of the unique identities of each of us as complex human beings.  ~Franklin Thomas

He mentioned Barrack Obama and how disgusted he was that America had a black president. Sure, doesn’t matter that the majority of America voted for him, that he is a well-educated man, or that he is changing the face of America, but only that his skin is darker than some and therefore he must be hated.

See me? I’m whiter than they come. When I go in the sun I go pink, and then I go a gorgeous honey colour that I love. And I proudly say that I will never in my life choose who to be friends with on how much melanin they have in their skin. Because a person’s personality is what you should notice; their sense of humour, their banter, their soul. If we were all the same, then we would all get bored pretty quick.

Peace and love people.

I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality…. I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word.  ~Martin Luther King, Jr.

12 Responses to “In The Words Of MJ…..It Doesn’t Matter If You’re Black Or White”

1. Angie~Lah June 29, 2011 at 5:02 pm #

OML, I am so glad I didn’t run onto that guy’s blog. I would have been cussing him and going against all my pacifist ideals. I don’t know how some people can tolerate living with themselves.

2. Spectra June 29, 2011 at 5:03 pm #

The guy expressing those views is really only saying he chooses to limit himself. Let him. Not everyone is designed to be open minded. If they violate others civil rights, the law will have to manage that. You cannot manage another persons mind. He simply needs a target for his own anger, and through expressing his anger at that target, keeps re-agitating himself, like others of the same mindset.

What a negative loop to be in… think of all the attention he gives to people he supposedly dislikes, and you can see the silliness. If you don’t like something, like brussell sprouts or chopped liver, you avoid it and prefer to not even see or discuss it. He is making himself sick with bad feelings- it is rather like sitting down in front of a plate of brussell sprouts and liver and then complaining about the food. Then going to a restaurant, ordering the same dish, and complaining, again. See what I mean? It is kind of a mental disorder, really :D

3. Melissa's Meanderings June 29, 2011 at 7:32 pm #

amen

4. mairedubhtx June 29, 2011 at 7:40 pm #

You said the truth in your written post. It just doesn’t matter what color you are or who you sleep with. People are people and everyone deserves to be treated with respect.

5. Julia (AKA Jules) June 30, 2011 at 11:42 am #

great post, people have the same feelings whether they’re gay or straight. I prefer my men older (and I mean in their 40s or early 50s) but that doesn’t make me less of a person than I already am. :)

6. tinkertoot June 30, 2011 at 12:03 pm #

It’s all a matter of personal choice and respect for other peoples choices. I myself am straight and would never cross the color “barrier” but i have friends who are gay and others who are “interracial” and we respect each other. (They never hit on me or invite me for 3somes though!! thank goodness)

• tinkerbelle86 June 30, 2011 at 10:32 pm #

Why would they? A black guy is just as likely to hit you as a White guy…. And there are a lot of straight couples out there who actively involve themselves in threesomes! Thanks for the comment, your blog made me laugh :)

7. mila June 30, 2011 at 12:23 pm #

I bet that guy don’t have many friends. I agree with you that the sexual orientation anybody choose it’s their own personal business and other people don’t have right to judge it.
    And I also believe whatever the skin color of a person, we are all the same. It’s not because my skin is colored :D
    But I believe that the different in people not in their color but in their heart, good or bad.

8. Sandra Bell Kirchman June 30, 2011 at 4:55 pm #

From another perspective, people who limit themselves like this are easy pawns and let themselves be worked into a rage of hate and terror. Not only do they stop their own spiritual growth, but they impede the progress of the world in general. Each person does make a difference – it’s up to us to choose what kind.

9. twindaddy June 30, 2011 at 5:37 pm #

Wonderfully written post and well said. You are dead on.

10. Rhonda Hopkins July 1, 2011 at 5:12 pm #

As twindaddy said…this was a wonderfully written post. And I’m so glad you didn’t post the link to this guy’s blog. I wouldn’t want him to have anymore traffic than he’s already getting. And it saved me from posting something and getting caught up in his negativity.

11. mengler July 3, 2011 at 1:28 am #

I agree with you. it really does not matter. people are people. the heart picture is also a very nice touch.