Zumba-licious!

9 Nov

There’s a new crazy taking the country by a storm… (well it’s not a new craze, but I never have been very quick on the uptake. Facebook? Nope. Skinny jeans? I don’t think so!) Zumba! And last week, I decided to try it, with hilarious consequences.

I had heard a lot about it, as most people you talk to seem to have a mother / auntie / gran who indulges, but you rarely hear anyone of my age admitting to do it. But gym-bunny housemate Emma, who will try anything that might mean that the words ‘fun’ and ‘exercise’ can go in the same sentence, has been trying to get me to go with her.

Don’t get me wrong, this girl likes spinning, so I wasn’t convinced that when she said “it’s a right laugh” that I would agree with her. I had visions of an ambulance being called as I suffered a heart attack, and Emma perspiring elegantly while bopping about with no trouble at all.

Actually, I was pleasantly surprised. We got to the school hall that it was being held in, and she said “ooh I’m not sure about this. The other place we do it has really dim lights. Here you can see everything!” and we waited in said gym hall while a strange caretaker who reminded me of Groundskeeper Willy out of The Simpsons, perved on us. There is no pretty way of saying it, that’s what he was doing.

My first giggles started way before the class, when I made the grown up decisions (I know, check me out!) to go to the loo. I felt like the BFG. The loos in an infant school are like something out of a dolls house! It was like trying to wee in an egg cup, and I don’t think Emma could work out why there were giggles coming from my cubicle. I dried my hands on the teeny tiny paper towels and made my way out into the white light of the school hall.

And then the dancing started. And it was really fun! We salsa’ed and zumba’ed and cha cha’ed to our hearts delight.

Let’s put it this way, if I was South American, I would be really embarrassed. Shakira makes it look so easy when she wiggles her hips and winds her body seductively. That’s the vision, isn’t it? Looking like a belly dancer with flawless skin and hips like you’ve been hula hooping all your life?

The reality was a little different. Think red faces and hips like robots that needed oiling. The faster it got, the more disjointed we looked until we resembled belly dancers having fits. I laughed so hard that I tripped over my shoelaces, sending the others into fits of giggles. And it looks so easy! But it’s not. My (little amount of) natural rhythm got the moves and I looked a little more like a pro, until my brain caught up with my hips, and I lost it totally.

Despite looking like I suffered from epilepsy and having no rhythm whatsoever, we will be going back next week. Toot toot!

Have you ever been to an exercise class and felt like a right wally?

If you want to read about other disastrous (and hilarious) exercise classes that the blonde one and I have tried, read these related posts:
Saturday Night’s Alright For Fighting
I Can Haz Inner Peace
The One Where We Went To Aqua Aerobics

27 Responses to “Zumba-licious!”

1. An Observant Mind November 9, 2011 at 9:10 am #

I have friends that do Zumba but I refuse to try. I humiliate myself enough on a daily basis when I’m not trying, so there is no need for me to voluntarily do it! More power to you I say!

2. gingerfightback November 9, 2011 at 9:11 am #

I tried it a month or so ago………

3. jules November 9, 2011 at 9:33 am #

I haven’t tried Zumba yet, and it’s been around for over a year! it’s the fact that I can’t get to my local one is the fact that I haven’t been to one yet!! :(

jules

4. Team Oyeniyi November 9, 2011 at 9:37 am #

I think I’m too old to try zumba – but it looks good!

• cperigen November 9, 2011 at 5:50 pm #

Impossible to be too old! I once did Zumba next to a 76 year old woman who kicked my ASS in the dance move department. Go try it!

• tinkerbelle86 November 9, 2011 at 5:58 pm #

some really old lady yesterday was doing all the reggae style moves like an old pro while i was collapsed in giggles because i just couldnt master the thrust. hilarious!

5. josierenae November 9, 2011 at 1:11 pm #

I LOVE Zumba!! It is a great work out!

6. prenin November 9, 2011 at 2:21 pm #

I have no sense of rythm and make a Cha Cha look like a War Dance!!! LoL!!!

Good on ya hun – sounds like great fun!!! :)

7. melfrommass November 9, 2011 at 3:46 pm #

This brought a smile to my face. Years ago, I attended a step aerobics class at the gym and mainly just stood there. Everyone already knew the “choreography” even though this class was supposed to be okay for beginners like me. About half-way through, I just walked out. I’ve always wanted to try Zumba. I like my new gym a lot more — maybe I’ll have a chat with the instructor first this time. :-)

Mel
    massachusetts-is-wicked-awesome.com/

8. Pany November 9, 2011 at 4:02 pm #

My Mum absolutely loves it!

9. Tori Nelson November 9, 2011 at 4:05 pm #

I Zumba-ed once. I laughed the whole time and pretty much irritated everyone in the class! I felt way too out of sync to ever go back!

10. cperigen November 9, 2011 at 5:49 pm #

I salsa danced and took salsa and cha cha lessons for 3 years. The first time I tried Zumba I looked like a complete idiot. I think unless you are born with that Latin blood, you can’t move your hips right. It’s just not in us Anglo people. I love salsa dancing and love when I can pull off some sweet moves but combining salsa, cha cha, rhumba, tango, bachata, etc altogether? It’s overwhelming. Zumba IS super fun and an incredible workout and… if you can get past the first 3 or 4 lessons, you can actually start catching on! Keep going!

11. imagesbytdashfield November 9, 2011 at 8:02 pm #

You get the most fun out of Zumba if you have a teacher who knows what they are doing. I did a class once with one who just made me want to quit and go home she was that stiff! Otherwise it’s a great workout. Try belly dancing classes next if you really want to try and move your hips.

12. slaintelbc November 9, 2011 at 9:27 pm #

I haven’t tried it yet. Not rather coordinated, lol. I think I saw it On Exercise TV! That way I can make a fool of myself in the privacy of my own home!!

13. Elyse November 9, 2011 at 10:48 pm #

Love the image of the loo — with you as the BFG!

Funny blog — glad you came to mine so i could find yours.

14. barb19 November 9, 2011 at 10:52 pm #

I love watching people zumba-ing, but not game to try it myself! Put me in a room on my own and I might give it a go though!
    Ten out of ten for trying it Tink – how about some pics?

• tinkerbelle86 November 10, 2011 at 2:10 pm #

Oh Barb this made me laugh. If i had coordination to do more than one thing i may have mastered the Kylie hand on your heart style dance in the class, taking pics is totally out of my skill set and Emma would KILL ME!!

15. therealsharon November 10, 2011 at 1:17 am #

I’ve never tried it but I actually have a lot of friend’s my age (28) and younger that LOVE it. In fact, I know more young people around here that do Zumba than I do older people! :)
    It looks fun but I’m so out of shape at the moment, I am afraid I would embarrass myself…maybe I will try the video kind first so I can get good at it and then go and look like a natural!

16. barkinginthedark November 10, 2011 at 1:57 am #

i LOVE to Zumba….what is it anyway? continue…

• tinkerbelle86 November 10, 2011 at 2:08 pm #

its an interesting cross of salsa, reggae and general bouncing about looking like a wally

17. Marvin the Martian November 10, 2011 at 4:38 am #

Tai chi is much more my speed.

18. butenuffaboutme November 10, 2011 at 8:11 pm #

So funny – I’m a faithful Zumba-er, but I’m sure that if we did it in a studio or something where there was access to mirrors I would be quitting immediately. We do it in a gymnasium of a grade school, and our instructer is on the stage, so I just delude myself into thinking I look like her, in spite of the 25lb and 25 year age difference. Great post :-)

19. Megan November 11, 2011 at 1:43 am #

I’ve been curious to try it but have a feeling I’d end up hurting myself. Seriously, I fall walking up the steps and trip walking across my living room. I think I better not risk the injury!!!

20. Marcie November 11, 2011 at 9:25 pm #

I used to go to a gym where they did Zumba. I never was brave enough to try it though because the room where they did Zumba was surrounded by windows where everyone working out on the machines could watch them. Practically being on a stage while working out does not sound fun to me, agh! Great that you liked your Zumba class enough to go back again next week! How fun!

21. the home tome November 12, 2011 at 4:35 pm #

Heart zumba!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Daily roundup (Brits and leather, etc.) « Lucius Somesuch - November 9, 2011

[...]      Seen the fliers for Zumba classes round about?  Curious what that’s about?  “Think red faces and hips like robots that needed oiling.” [...]