There’s Nowhere More Magic Than Disney

13 Mar

“When you’re curious, you find lots of interesting things to do. And one thing it takes to accomplish something is courage.” Walt Disney

As part of my trip to California, Emma and I went to DisneyLand. I have been before, but Emma never had so we decided to make the trip. But we decided to make the trip with five under thirteens in tow, as my family had friends staying for a long weekend.

The day before had been overcast, but I know what my skin is like so I put on my suncream and we went for a hike up the state reserve to get some great views of the ocean and get over the hangovers we had as a result from the night before.

I now look like someone has taken a blow torch to Casper the Friendly Ghost. Apparently the body cream that I had applied that morning to preserve the tiny tan that I have contains oil, and after a few hours I forgot, applied my suncream and went out for the day. Ouch!

“Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world.” Walt Disney

Luckily we woke on Disney day for it to be overcast and a little chilly so I didn’t look too out of place in a t shirt and a hoodie, but when an excited kid came racing up to me and jumped on my shoulders, full of Disney spirit, it hurt BAD.

They say Disney is full of magic, and I think they might be right. Its hard not to grin when you hear the Star Wars music playing ,otto squeal when you see the parade. It takes you back to when you used to sit in front of the TV and be mesmerised by the bright colours and happy faces.

Emma and I split off from the smaller kids and took the two teenagers, on the basis that I am a ride wimp and so is Abby, and Emma is a daredevil, as is my cousin Emily. We had a plan. The first person to get to ten photos wearing different silly hats won a prize, and the competition was hot. The staff don’t like you trying on the hats without buying them, but at twenty dollars a hat, we weren’t going to do that. So we raced into the stores, put the hats on and raced out again. The results were hilarious.

“The era we are living in today is a dream of coming true.” Walt Disney

I went on Space Mountain. I don’t mind that one because although it goes fast an twists and turns, its dark so you might as well not be on it. We went on a few others and moseyed around the park, having photos taken with the characters and eating junk food. At the end of the day we decided to go on Splash Mountain, a ride I hadn’t been on before because it was closed. Once in the eighty minute queue, I noticed the drop. Wow. Then the sign a bit further round ‘fifty foot drop’…. aaah right. I couldn’t chicken out as there was a sweet looking little girl in front of me who can’t have been older than five, and she seemed pretty excited, so I swallowed my butterflies and continued in the line. Then I saw another sign ‘last chance to leave’. Oh come on. I was concerned enough as it was!

This is the end result. It was emailed to me by a complete stranger who thought it was so funny that I had to have a copy of it.

“I only hope that we don’t lose sight of one thing – that it was all started by a mouse.” Walt Disney.

By the end of the day I had had far too much fun, magic and junk food, and was ready to go home and get in my bed. I don’t understand how all the kids were so bouncy after a whole day of rides and fun, but they could have stayed in the park for another day. It was potentially something to do with the amount of sugar consumed, but they all had fun, and after all, there is no place in the world more magical than Disney.

Who are your top three Disney characters?

13 Responses to “There’s Nowhere More Magic Than Disney”

1. 1stpeaksteve March 13, 2012 at 6:45 pm #

You poor Brits! I used to cringe when I worked at Wet ‘n’ Wild and had to push a poor fluro-red guy down the slide. The sun is not kind to Europeans…

Anyway, your post made me think how much I want to visit Disney. I live like 25 minutes away (In Florida) and I haven’t been in 3 years or so. Pretty pathetic really.

Enjoy California and try to surf!

2. susielindau March 13, 2012 at 7:18 pm #

I never got to go as a kid, but we took ours and they loved it!
    Faves? Cinderella, Snow White, and Mickey of course…

3. gojulesgo March 13, 2012 at 10:06 pm #

This looks like so much fun! I LOVE the pictures – I can’t believe a stranger emailed you the last pic, haha! The hat contest idea is GREAT! Who won??

And did the kid who jumped on you know you???

4. maroon5gurl88 March 14, 2012 at 12:12 am #

So jealous! I’ve been trying to plan my yearly trip to Disneyland, the prices seem to be getting higher. Glad you had fun!

5. Marvin the Martian March 14, 2012 at 2:12 am #

How fun! I don’t do Disney. Warner Brothers is my favorite.

6. Domestic Goddess in Training March 14, 2012 at 2:26 am #

We went to Disney World this summer and I hit the bed like a bag of bricks each night. I miss being a kid and having tons of energy.

7. mamanne March 14, 2012 at 3:46 am #

I grew up in Southern California and Disneyland was somewhere we went often. In fact, “back in the day” my dad’s company used to rent the entire park for just his work folks; the park would close early to the general public and we had the place to ourselves for the evening and entire night! It was amazing – no standing in lines at all! (bet Disney wouldn’t do that anymore) I was even in the Easter parade there one year, in 1900’s clothing riding in an antique auto. Great memories. Now that I live out of the state, I feel like a horrid mom as my daughter is 14 now and has still never been. We are trying so hard to save for a trip before she’s too old to love it (altho I’m old, and I’ll still love it…) Glad you had fun!

8. prenin March 14, 2012 at 6:17 am #

Donald Duck, Mickey and Chip ‘n’ Dale! :)

9. Garrett McKenna March 14, 2012 at 11:45 am #

I love Disney! It really is just so much fun! When your inside the park, it’s like your not even on our planet! :-)

10. Ann_Violet March 14, 2012 at 1:13 pm #

Cinderella – In a play, i was cinderella.. I loved cinderella from then onwards!
    Aladdin – I love that guy!!
    Mulan – She is a wonderful girl..
    I would like to mention Beauty too.. She is just amazing!

11. Victoria-writes March 14, 2012 at 5:20 pm #

So jealous, love Disney!! I like Belle, Ariel and Jasmine!

12. Online Mary Kay March 17, 2012 at 1:22 am #

I LOVE Disey. It is so magical.

13. Mila Said March 19, 2012 at 3:49 am #

I love Disneyland. I have the picture when I was ride the Spacemountain too, it was shame. LOL!