I’ve Kinda Got That Feeling….

13 Apr

Animals are known for their instincts. A wolf can smell a predator from miles away, and knows to assume either fight or flight positioning. The whole pack gathers together and after the alpha males makes a decision, they follow orders, sometimes to the death.

When the tsunami hit in Asia, animals flocked to higher ground and dogs were heard making low-pitched moans, as if they were foretelling the future. Their strange behaviour wasn’t remarked upon till after the tragedy when they were seen as being saved due to their high instinct and reliance on their senses.

But with evolution and the advent of different types of technology, this seems to have died out in humans. We are more reliant on the sounds of the roads and the smells of burning rather than simply sensing that something dangerous is afoot, and this is worrying. Without our senses we are walking targets, as is proved with the amount of people who get hit by cars due to listening to loud music on their headphones, and even common sense seems to be something that is dying out.

But do you ever get that feeling, a foreboding that something is wrong? It might be when you are walking home in the dark, or when you wake up in the middle of the night and simply cannot put your finger on what the problem is? That’s the sense playing havoc with your present and causing you doubt.

I am slightly (read totally) obsessed with the Titanic. Ever since i was a little girl I have had a fascination with documentaries on the building, sailing and sinking of the ship, and the lives of those who survived, and how the titanic was entwined with their futures until the day they died. Sunday marks the one hundred year anniversary of the day the ‘unsinkable’ ship went down, losing the lives of 1514 people to the icy waters. After reading the biography of a lady that was on the ship, the feeling of foreboding stuck with me. She told of being eight years old and crying as they boarded, telling her Dad and the ship felt too heavy. When it sank four days later, she lost her father.

Funny feelings are our bodies’ way of protecting us, a safeguarding against situations that we feel uncomfortable in. They make us think twice about taking that step, and sometimes protect us from situations that we would have been in danger in otherwise.

And then sometimes you get a funny feeling when you really aren’t expecting it. You might feel the hairs on the back of your neck standing up when you are in the house on your own for no reason, or run past an open door in the middle of the night because you are scared, for some unknown reason.

Have you ever had a funny feeling that has helped you out, or even saved your life?

16 Responses to “I’ve Kinda Got That Feeling….”

1. gojulesgo April 13, 2012 at 2:36 pm #

Great question (especially for Friday the 13th!)! I’ve definitely gotten that feeling before. Once when a car was following me, so I drove to the nearest police station (they stopped). Also when visiting open houses and certain stores or parks. If I get that creepy vibe, I turn and run the other way!

P.S. – Are you going to see Titanic in 3D? I’m going to try to go this weekend!

• tinkerbelle86 April 13, 2012 at 2:38 pm #

you know what, I’m actually not going to go. I saw it before but never watched it again. I feel uncomfortable about the dramatisation of something so heartbreaking… which sounds MAD because I watch all the TV adaptations and things. It just gives me, well, a funny feeling!

2. becomingcliche April 13, 2012 at 2:40 pm #

I always try to listen to that vibe. If I feel weird in a situation, I leave.

3. susielindau April 13, 2012 at 3:00 pm #

There is a thing called a Jacobson’s organ that has a lot to do with sensing fear in the release in hormones. Animals rely on it, but scientists believe that humans have the ability too. It really becomes more active when women are pregnant, but they are still studying it in humans. It is really cool!

4. Richard Wiseman April 13, 2012 at 3:10 pm #

Interestingly humans have a smaller ‘brain’ at the back of the head, top of the spine, which was there before we evolved a ‘higher order’ brain. This so called ‘reptilian’ brain is directly connected to our senses and often picks up scents, vibrations, signals and sights that as modern people we overlook. People usually say that it’s our primeval instincts, but really it’s an actual ‘brain’ of sorts, similar to that of wolves and other predators, which is what we are, predators, what with having binocular vision and stereo hearing, two things designed to locate prey accurately. So if people think they are being followed, watched or if they, for some reason, sense danger, it is usually this old ‘lower order’ brain that is speaking to them. Modern humans don’t tune into this ‘instinctive’ brain, but ‘trackers’, special forces soldiers and a variety of people who live or work in more ‘wild’, or less ‘civilized’, environments learn to listen to it and attune to it. A good example are the Aborigines, who are so attuned to it that they have almost animal like senses.
    Of course with Titanic there were examples of people who had premonitions, which are an entirely different thing and are as yet unexplained by science, but no doubt one day the concept of premonitions of disasters via dreams etc will be explained scientifically in one way or another. Do I have or have I had experiences where i have avoided danger because of ‘heeding my ‘reptilian lower order brain’? Yes I have, many occasions over the years; to the point that my wife thinks I’m psychic, as do other people who know me, but I explain the ‘primeval brain’ thing to them and they yawn and change the subject…. it’s less exciting than being psychic.
    {;~>{>:::::[ -------{]

5. cooper April 13, 2012 at 4:21 pm #

You might want to head over to this post on Marina Sleeps concerning recent twitter comments from the youngsters about Titanic

• tinkerbelle86 April 13, 2012 at 4:23 pm #

oh don’t its terrible that people dont know about really key things that happened in history. next think we know theyll all start telling us that Independence Day actually happened.

• cooper April 13, 2012 at 4:28 pm #

or that the Indians and Pilgrims got along…

6. Kats Whispers April 13, 2012 at 4:32 pm #

And there was me thinking I was alone in my fascination with the Titanic (it hit the iceberg the same date as my birthday). I was lucky enough to meet a survivor when I was in junior school and her story was heartbreaking.

As for having funny feelings, when I feel unsafe at all I act on it. My local policeman taught me and my friends to always follow our instincts as it’s better to look silly for a few seconds running away than to get caught in a dangerous situation.

Plus I can normally tell when my mum is ringing the house ;)

7. Chris Gallagher April 13, 2012 at 5:43 pm #

My wife woke me in the middle of the night in early February 2003, and told me she had a feeling something was wrong. She couldn’t explain much about what was troubling her only that it was to do with space, or events outside of the earth. After a broken few hours sleep we woke to the news of the space shuttle disaster where Colombia had broken up on re-entry.

8. Deano April 13, 2012 at 11:04 pm #

I once decided to play computer golf rather than go out with my friends, they had a car accident that night……does that count?

9. prenin April 13, 2012 at 11:39 pm #

Not that I can remember! :)

10. The Byronic Man April 14, 2012 at 3:00 pm #

I was just reading about the movie Titanic – no, not that one. There was a movie made by Germany during that little hiccup they had in the 30’s & 40’s, as a commentary on the corruption and foolishness of England. The reason they crash is capitalism (really).

11. Marvin the Martian April 19, 2012 at 3:54 am #

Use the Force. Trust your instincts. They’ll help keep you alive. I’m a firm believer in those funny feelings.

12. creativeboys April 24, 2012 at 2:39 pm #

Yea i gotta agree that tech makes us lost some insticts and yea i have funny feelings but i am not sure if it really save my life yet.