My Guiltiest Pleasures

16 Apr

My good bloggy friend Jules made it to Freshly Pressed this week, and when I saw her mug shining out at me from the home page, I must say, I was proud.

So in homage to the mantra of Geeking out on Guilty Pleasures, I have compiled a post of my guiltiest pleasures for your entertainment. And if you want a lifetime of guilty pleasures, I suggest you follow her blog!

1)      Stilettos. In the cupboard. Never worn.

Every now and then I find the most jaw droppingly awesome pair of shoes in a shop. You know the ones; they sparkle like Cinderella’s glass slipper at you from miles away, and they play on your mind when you aren’t close to them. They are the queen of the gorgeous shoe, and you simply must have them, regardless of how expensive they are / how painful they will make your feet / potential of breaking a bone. You buy them. You are victorious.

Image

And then they sit in your cupboard for the rest of their life with you, never worn, and sometimes with the label still firmly stuck to the bottom of the shoe. The last time I fell off the wagon and bought a pair of stilettos that i darn well knew I wouldn’t wear was just over a year ago. I was slightly peer pressured into the purchase as I tottered around the shop and my friends marvelled at how awesome my feet looked and how wonderfully sleek my legs seemed. I bought them. I then danced around the house to the Spice Girls in them a few times until a wobble left me scared my ankle would soon be broken, and every now and then I get them out and show my sister, wondering at their sheer beauty. They will never know what it feels like to have tarmac beneath them, as I value my ankles too much.

2)      The alternative food groups: cheese, chocolate orange, diet coke and sushi.

Some days, I will eat only these, or combinations of the four. I might shake it up by throwing in a jaffa cake, but when you are at your lowest or most hormonal there is nothing that isn’t made better by a piece (read, block) or Wensleydale or a tube of Jaffa cakes. Some foods just make the world go round. I am the chopstick queen of sushi, chowing down on sashimi, edemame and California rolls and I often get the ‘wasabi nose’ when I venture across too much of the green stuff.

3)      Boybands

Be it One Direction (bless their chubby little cheeks), Five, Take That or Backstreet Boys, I am guilty of totally embracing my inner tween and warbling away. Now I have sold Betty Blue I can no longer make sure the windows are tightly shut and crank up the stereo, singing to my heart’s content, but when offered tickets to the New Kids on the Block and Backstreet Boys mega tour, I couldn’t say yes quick enough. If only Wham would make a comeback then my life would be complete.

4)      Pugs and Kittens

Image

My lifelong dream is to gather an army of pugs and ginger kittens. I don’t know what it is about pugs but their faces make me melt. I saw one near Edgeware station the other day dressed in a Burberry body warmer and being dragged by its owner, and its eyes said it all. “Don’t look at me! I’m so ashamed! I hate this woman with over expressive, drawn on eyebrows… SAVE ME!”

Image

FML! A frickin unicorn!

5)      Ryan Reynolds.

Ah come on, you didn’t think id miss the love of my life out did you? On my last trip to California I convinced my cousins to go see Safe House with me. They are teenagers, and boys, so weren’t convinced that my choice would reflect their interests. When we left the theatre they both marvelled at how well I had picked a storyline they would enjoy. My response?

Image

“I bloody love Ryan Reynolds.”

I rest my case.

19 Responses to “My Guiltiest Pleasures”

1. becomingcliche April 16, 2012 at 12:54 pm #

I’m sorry to say that if Wham ever made a comeback, it would be a sign that the world is ending. Just wake me up before you go-go, ‘kay?

2. Ipodman April 16, 2012 at 12:58 pm #

I like Ryan Reynolds without the facial hair tho… o.O

• tinkerbelle86 April 16, 2012 at 4:43 pm #

I must admit, Im not picky. Although my preference would be the topless shot I use regularly, but in the spirit of giving y’all something different to look at I went with McBeardy Reynolds.

• Ipodman April 17, 2012 at 10:24 am #

I think there can never be enough topless shots O.O

3. Sam April 16, 2012 at 1:03 pm #

I share all of those pleasures…. except the Stilettos. I don’t even bother purchasing any more.

My favourite boyband was O-Town, I don’t even think they made two years and I still love them. It’s creepy.

I’m also a bit more partial to Ian Somerholder over Ryan….

• tinkerbelle86 April 22, 2012 at 12:05 pm #

ooh no, he looks like he would pinch my mascara. and im totally not down with that.

• Sam April 23, 2012 at 9:58 am #

With a face like that? He can pinch whatever he wants.

4. prenin April 16, 2012 at 1:21 pm #

Nice to see you are still as wonderful as ever! :)

5. Richard Wiseman April 16, 2012 at 1:38 pm #

I have Stilettos I’ve never used. I bought them because I saw them in the shop window, shiny and gleaming, the promise of danger and power in their gleaming bladed points… What? You were talking about shoes… oh right… Stylish Italian assassins’ knives? What knives officer? No I haven’t been buying pointy knives again… guilty pleasures… mmm… pointy…

6. gojulesgo April 16, 2012 at 3:17 pm #

Hee hee THANK YOU for this post, that fills my guilty pleasure heart to the brim! I want to count this as at least 5 entries for the GoGuiltyPleasures gift basket giveaway :)

I LOVE the stilettos guilty pleasure. I’ve definitely done that, too! I don’t know why they can’t make more comfortable stilettos, since obviously those are the shoes we ladies want to wear out and about!

• tinkerbelle86 April 16, 2012 at 4:42 pm #

can i just have Uncle Jesse as a prize? Jiffy him up and post him and I promise ill take good care of that bundle of fluff :)

7. Shonnie April 16, 2012 at 9:08 pm #

Do pilates reformer then your ankles will be strong enough for all your fav hooker heels. Ryan –is almost as hot as my Mikey. ;) great read.

8. livelearnmature April 17, 2012 at 8:48 am #

simply love this post… and those heels!!!

9. Victoria-writes April 17, 2012 at 10:54 am #

Love your guilty pleasures! I really want a puppy too :) Ps: like the new look blog woo!

10. Life in the Boomer Lane April 17, 2012 at 12:55 pm #

Fabulous post! And so liberating to reveal these things in public. I’m working up the courage to talk about how I single-handedly clean out all the chocolate in the candy basket at the office and don’t care that I deprive everyone else of it.

11. Marvin the Martian April 19, 2012 at 3:52 am #

I liked Ryan Reynolds in that X-Men movie where they sewed his mouth shut. That was amusing.

12. Ann April 19, 2012 at 4:18 pm #

God! I just love boy bands… They look so cute and they make amazing songs!

13. creativeboys April 24, 2012 at 3:04 pm #

aww that kitten is so cute! :)