Kara(Not)Oke – OK?

23 Jul

I have a terrible propensity for remembering things differently to how they actually happen. In my head, there are certain things that I love, and things that I hate, but they are often wrong.

So when my friend mentioned that for her birthday this year, she wanted to do karaoke, I shuddered ever so slightly. I really didn’t want to do it. My voice sounds Whitney Houston awesome when I am in the shower and there is no one else in the house, but as soon as the front door opens and someone gets home, it sound like the lone wolf calling for the rest of the pack. Apparently, its legendary tone also doesn’t travel well in the great outdoors, so, for example, if someone was walking past the house they would be tempted to call the RSPCA for cruelty to animals, when really it’s just the steam from the shower affecting the sound of my otherwise pitch perfect singing. I’ve actually heard it called tone-deaf, but in all honesty I think that’s really unfair to people who are actually tone-deaf. It’s a ton worse.

But it was her birthday, and therefore who was I to argue? I’ve dragged my friends to various places in the spirit of it being my birthday, including one fateful year when I was domesticated and insisted we have a BBQ in the garden. The quite cold garden. So I went. The alcohol we drank before numbed the embarrassment, and she got up there, complete with stick on Hulk Hogan moustache and comedy glasses, and killed Eye of the Tiger. And when I say killed, I’m not talking on the ‘nailed it!!!’ side of death. More on the ears bleeding and people crying side. At least we know our limits.

The thing is, I don’t like to see anyone not having fun. And everyone else was stone cold sober needed encouragement so I felt like I should step up and rally the troops. Think King Leonidas in 300….
Because there was a lot of shouting, and I also had a stick on handlebar moustache, to really complete my look. Disaster. Needless to say, I howled my way through Alanna Myles Black Velvet and a number of others, before embarking on a duet of Don’t Go Breaking My Heart with my best friend. It resulted in the picture below, which isn’t my finest moment.

Karaoke in London – Belle style.

So friends got a text at 1am that morning simply saying “I bloody love karaoke!!”

One final treat for you.. Move over Kid Rock, there’s a new band of moustaches yokels in town….

What do you secretly love doing?

11 Responses to “Kara(Not)Oke – OK?”

1. prenin July 23, 2012 at 5:53 pm #

Try going to church and discovering you have a voice of one octave – the wrong one!!! :)

That throat infection didn’t help either – I now sound like I had my throat cut… :)

Love and hugs to you and the rest of the band! :)

2. visitingmissouri July 23, 2012 at 7:48 pm #

Every now and then, I´m glad you don´t do video posts.

• tinkerbelle86 July 24, 2012 at 8:36 am #

Now you mention it, I did!! But the world isn’t ready for that kind of entertainment. And I’m sure if I did, I would get more fan mail! ;)

3. susielindau July 24, 2012 at 1:41 am #

I love it! I love to sing, but don’t think I have a very good voice so it would not be my thing either!
    Looks like a blast!

• tinkerbelle86 July 24, 2012 at 8:35 am #

you should have heard the rendition of Wuthering Heights – I played it to my Mum and tried to do guess the song, and she seriously couldn’t. I felt sorry for the people coming in and clearing the empties!

4. Marvin the Martian July 24, 2012 at 3:25 am #

Ha! Great photos. I think karaoke is best performed while drunk, from what I’ve seen among others who practice it.

5. Go Jules Go July 24, 2012 at 7:11 pm #

Oh you’re a good woman for doing this! (“…in all honesty I think that’s really unfair to people who are actually tone-deaf.” HA!) Karaoke terrifies me.

Might I suggest you also harnessed the power of the almighty ‘stache. I LOVE these pictures!

• tinkerbelle86 August 1, 2012 at 4:43 pm #

I totally did. You know what, I ordered some Jules-esque glasses and they never came, so i had to do with a stick on tash that gave me pimples on my lip. But its a price I pay for my art….

6. Richard Wiseman July 25, 2012 at 4:01 am #

Looks like you had fun and that’s the important thing; birthdays when young and feisty should be embarrassing alcohol fuelled comedy dramas. Well done for keeping the great tradition of birthday madness alive for future generations of young people. On the matter of singing and bad voices, my singing voice is banned on all continents as contravening all local arms treaties and hearing me sing is a contravention of the European Human Rights Bill, under the cruel and unusual punishment section.The only time I did Karaoke I was arrested for grievous bodily harm and had to wear a location tag for a year. (Hand over the cash or I’m singing a Wham medley!)

7. Dish with Donna July 27, 2012 at 11:42 am #

It does look like you had a great time. But I do hate Karaoke. Probably because I can sing. Although I have to admit I have done it….once.

8. malu July 29, 2012 at 11:29 am #

you’re really a good friend. no matter how much alcohol i would drink i could never sing in front of other people. not even to do my friend a birthday favour. :-D