Want VS Need

27 Sep

I want.

It’s a demand that dances from the mouths of the majority, fuelled by glossy magazines and a throw away culture of opulence and aspirations; always wanting the newest and next generation across our entire lives. It spews disregard in its wake; a mess of rubbish and packing discarded, abandoned feelings and processes, and leaves us feeling empty, and predominantly unfulfilled.

I want success, love, support and money in abundance, but the chances are I won’t get a full house on this one, and to be honest, what would I do with it if I had it? Its fun to build a massive house full of mod cons and objects, but if you have no one to share it with you may as well be sitting in a cardboard box on a street corner, by yourself.

As the Rolling Stones once said, “you can’t always get what you want, well if you try sometimes, then you might well find, you get what you need”

So stripping it back and thinking hard, what do I actually need to survive and flourish? Support and sustenance. That’s all, folks. I need the love and support of the people around me to pick me up and dust me down when I fall, and to celebrate with me when I succeed, and I need to be healthy and sustained to do so. And ultimately, that’s it.

So I can say, hand on my heart, that the people around me are the people I need. I’m impulsive (you might say flighty, but I will beat you) and I lose interest very quickly. I have a short temper, although as my years grow, my fuse grows with them and I’m stubborn to a fault. If I disagree when you tell me to do something, I will struggle to play by the rules. I think it’s the way I’m made.

But despite that, I’m loyal, considerate, and if I love you I’ll never leave you. Just like my little blog, which despite having been absent from in the previous months, I put my hand on my heart and promise to give a little more love. It’s turned into a weedy and overgrown garden, and it’s time to get pruning.

What do you truly need to survive?

9 Responses to “Want VS Need”

1. SprinklinThoughts September 27, 2012 at 6:09 pm #

“Poverty exists not in the decrease of ones possessions but in the increase of ones greed.”~ Plato
    (with the possible exception of the poor, but my guess is they would probably understand this better than those not poor.)

2. Sam September 27, 2012 at 7:07 pm #

I’d still like a big house though…. with a robot butler. Just saying. Have missed your posts!

• tinkerbelle86 September 27, 2012 at 7:12 pm #

A robot butler would make life a lot easier!

3. susielindau September 27, 2012 at 11:35 pm #

Lots of ideas in this post. I guess it’s good to focus on the important stuff. The rest is just frosting: It tastes good but you can’t live on it…..

4. prenin September 28, 2012 at 12:35 am #

To live long, live well and to die happy and well remembered… :)

• misswhiplash September 28, 2012 at 11:06 am #

My husband , my family, my dogs and cats,,,,,I am content with everything I have

but I’ll be evn more content when I have my new kitchen installed!

5. observingthescene September 28, 2012 at 2:25 pm #

I personally think Plato’s conclusion was a bit too absolute, but generally correct. I think you have stated the problem in a very incisive way, in that the vast majority of us are deluded into believing that what they “want” is really what they “need.” How many people have determined that they “need” that nose job, or to to be entitled to have as much plastic surgery as it takes to become absolutely perfect in appearance, so as to be able to become rich on nothing more than their looks? Look at the Kardashians, or the participants on the reality shows, where folks display their “talent,” before millions of viewers, in the hopes that they will become famous for being famous, while others, recognizing the reality of their talent, and the value of their own bootstrap efforts, become successes because they do what is necessary to become successes, instead of waiting for somebody to hand it to them on a silver platter because of their appearance. I personally think the ones who are most successful at becoming successes based upon nothing more than their appearances, and who are the epitome of those for whom they mistake wants for needs, are the prostitutes of this world. Once again, “Belle,” you have stated the problem perfectly!

6. Richard Wiseman September 30, 2012 at 7:33 pm #

I don’t need anything to survive because I’m not going to survive; everything that lives dies and so none survive. I have no bank account, I don’t drive, I don’t prize possessions, material goods or any lifestyle items; it’s all a con. On the other hand what I need to make my very brief existence on this briefly existing planet better is to love people and be loved, because that appears to be what makes life worthwhile, even if it is only for a while. Glad you’re back Tink! Added a little sparkle to my week end.