Obama – The Right Choice

9 Nov

So the US elections are over, and, as far as I am concerned, good triumphed. I have remained (surprisingly) tight lipped through the elections, but if you have read my blog before I’m sure you can guess who I was rooting for (read more here) .

But now I am glad to say that it’s a good thing Obama won, because God help the world if that hadn’t been the outcome. Sure, difference of opinion is a rich thing that the world should encourage, but difference is one thing, and down right ignorance is another.

Mitt Romney’s views are disgusting. There are three main issues that turn my stomach in relation to the Republican campaign:

Their stance on homosexuality: Correct me if I’m wrong, but who cares? We should be focussing more on happiness, and a world where our children’s children are free to be who they want to be, as long as they are happy. If it were me I would be more concerned if my child was a racist thug who went around committing hate crimes, rather than if he or she fell for someone of the same sex. This whole Don’t Ask Don’t tell policy makes me feel sick; under what circumstances does a persons sexual orientation negate their ability to do their job, or in this case, serve their country? Exactly.

Their stance on abortion: I nearly cried when I read the Republican take on pregnancy through rape. God’s will? Pull the other one! That to me is a statement by narrow minded men, and I imagine if they could get pregnant through rape they may see if differently. As if a rape victim hasn’t gone through enough already.

Their stance on equality between races: “I can identify with black people. My family used to have slaves!” Right, great argument. The colour of a persons skin is totally irrelevant, and shouldn’t be a ‘policy’. Come on, the USA has a black president. Again, one group of men who need to be propelled into the 21st century quickly. I imagine they are the type of men who I hated when I worked the bar; the kind that would slap your ass and call you “sweeeedheart”. The kind I wanted to pour their whisky on and tell them to f**k off.

Maybe, in the eyes of the Republicans I am “too young to understand”. Maybe I am “not seeing things clearly”. But maybe I am part of a new generation, a generation who sees everyone as equal and judges people on their merits, not tars them with the same brush and throws people into categories. And maybe, just maybe, I’m out and proud of this fact. I think I represent a new wave of tolerance, something that if everyone embraced, might see a happier world. Call me a hippie, I couldn’t care less.

So, I for one was glad when I woke to see America had a new President, the very same president who has changed the face of America. Love him or hate him, he is the right man for the job. God bless Obama (and FYI Republicans, that’s your God who ‘loves everyone equally’. Not equally, but sort of less equally if you are black, female or gay. Just so we are clear).

11 Responses to “Obama – The Right Choice”

1. MegansBeadedDesigns November 9, 2012 at 7:11 pm #

I hope this election is a strong signal that we are finally headed in the right direction, into the 21st century. I am not only proud that the president was re-elected, but that gay marriage was approve by the voters in my state. I am hopeful that more states will follow suit, and it will soon be granted from the federal level.

With Don’t Ask Don’t Tell removed, our gay brothers and sister can now openly serve for our country. However, they are not permitted the same benefits for their spouses as the straight couples who serve. To me, this is something that needs to be changed. Sooner, hopefully, rather than later.

2. Barneysday November 9, 2012 at 7:27 pm #

Excellent post. I’m a certified senior citizen, not an old, white guy republican, who completely agrees with your views.

3. Janet Parfitt November 9, 2012 at 7:37 pm #

Agree with you totally on every point!

4. Beth November 9, 2012 at 7:38 pm #

Great post, thanks for sharing your thoughts! I couldn’t agree with you more, especially when it comes to being a part of a new wave of thought. Things are definitely changing, and I look forward to that change, with Obama, with open arms! :)

5. Spoon Feast November 9, 2012 at 7:58 pm #

It is so nice to hear what the rest of the world is thinking. I welcome the discussions! The GOP, in my humble opinion seems so full of hate, greed and control. Their views are very frightening.
    I only hope the rest of the world had as big a sigh of relief as I did when I woke to learn our President had been re-elected.
    Now I don’t have to become an ex-pat. I would have considered my options before Mittens first 100 days were up. What a relief! I hope he has to pay back all his “billionaire backers” who, we suppose, were promised an election. Mittens can go back to fantasy land now.

6. Lanette Dykman November 9, 2012 at 8:04 pm #

Interesting take, for a Brit! I’m in heartland, USA – Denver, Colorado. We were one of the battleground states that, thankfully voted for Obama. “The other one” scared me from the get-go as EXTREMELY conservative and used-car salesman! Everyone conveniently forgets that it was a REPUBLICAN that got us into the mess we are currently in – and virtually brought down the entire world – now THAT’S a legacy – Bush should be put out there as the worst president in history! And, the thought of ANY man telling me what I can and can not do to my body is just WRONG! Maybe they focus more on men that go around getting women pregnant and not taking responsibility – maybe THAT should be outlawed. Anyhow – we are thankfully safe for another 4 years and it will be an interesting 4 years at that!

7. Sandra Bell Kirchman November 9, 2012 at 9:49 pm #

Hey, Belle, that was a great post. You hit the nail on the head in every category. I simply could not believe how many people voted for Romney. I think that scared me more than anything. What one man believes is nothing to me, other than to show his ignorance. That a large part of a powerful nation support him. Now that is terrifying. I had huge relief when I too woke the next morning and saw that Obama had made it with a healthy number of electoral votes.

8. Team Oyeniyi November 9, 2012 at 10:36 pm #

Well done, Belle and from all the sane people out there: Thank You!

9. misswhiplash November 10, 2012 at 8:30 am #

well said my little chickadee…I could not have put it better myself….I too rejoiced when I saw Obama had won…he has a long hard job to do and gets no support from people who should support him

10. nikkix2 November 10, 2012 at 2:38 pm #

Amen,,,sista friend from across the pond!

11. elroyjones November 14, 2012 at 1:18 pm #

Right on, Power to the People, ALL of the people!!!