Let Them Eat Cake

19 Nov

This weekend saw the birthday of my friend Lauren, and since I didn’t have a clue what to buy her, I thought I would make a cake.

Let me give you some background. I used to be pretty bad at cakes. I had a dream that I might be a modern day Julia Childs, and at school I looked forward to the module in Home Economics where we made cakes. I whisked and prepped my first cake ever, put it in the oven, and promptly blew it up, taking out the two cakes in the oven above. Turns out you CAN put too much baking powder in cake mix. Who’d have thought it? I was kindly advised by the teacher to try something different for GCSE, and my hopes and dreams of becoming a chef were crushed (as if).

hyperbole and a half, one of my favourite cartoon blogs.

If you’ve been reading my blog a while you’ll know stubbornness is kinda my thing, and like the French teacher who told me I’d never amount to anything (I then proceeded to walk out of my final exam with a high A) I’m a pretty good cook. I do the Christmas dinner for my friends, and I’ve been known to rustle up entire three course meals for dinners. So f**k you, teachers!

So, back to the cake. Pinterest has been distracting me from daily life for a while now, and it makes me feel pretty inferior when i see all the absolutely outstanding recipes that people make, while I draw smily faces on the top of cupcakes. Out pops Stubborngirl! “Well if random, faceless Pinterest stranger can create masterpieces from cake, then so can I!” I think, without any background knowledge of said faceless user.

I looked at this one.

Bit much? Maybe.

Then I saw this one…

Yep, probably still a little too much effort for a Saturday.

And then I found my inspiration. A Kit Kat and M&M cake, In actual fact, I had my eye on it for a little while, but could never justify making it for a night in with a film. Although I reckon I could have had a good go at destroying one by myself :)

I went to the shop with a spring in my step, and some slight anticipation. I have done this before you see. When I was 20, I decided to lovingly craft my then-boyfriend a birthday cake. He loved playing the guitar, and in my head I would make a white cake with a guitar on it and be crowned the best girlfriend ever. Fantastic idea. In reality, my mother came home to me rocking and crying, sobbing at her “I don’t know how you do iiiiiiiiiiiittttttttttt!!!! Yours always look so gooooooooood!” When she investigated the situation, my cake looked like it had been hit by a car at speed and flattened, and the ‘guitar’ icing shape I had made was no more than a hotdog looking disaster with a really long sausage. Turns out that my head is far more creative than my hands. Mum had to sort the cake out, he was amazed, but I couldn’t lie and say that it was my work of art, in case friends and family started commissioning me for cakes. Imagine, me not being able to refuse and a birthday cake for a party looking like this…

“I don’t get it, she used to be so good at cakes!”

Anyway, I got there, bought all the ingredients, including four family packets of KitKats, and danced home, singing a song about baking a cake (It happens, can’t help it) and set to work.

It was awesome.

I sandwiched it together with chocolate spread, feeling very grown up (cake sandwiching?! Normally I just cover cupcakes in frosting so you can’t see how misshapen they are) and stuck the KitKats on the side.

Fuck. There might not be enough KitKats to go round. Not going back to the shop, I thought. Man already thinks I have an eating disorder due to the incorrect correlation between the amount of KitKats I am buying and my body weight. Must fit round!!

Panic over. They fit round. I iced the top with the M&Ms, and then spent 25 mins dancing round my kitchen like Will Smith in the Fresh Prince, marvelling at how amazing I am.

See!!!!!

“And lo, behold the cake that will end all cakes.”

23 Responses to “Let Them Eat Cake”

1. Kats Whispers November 19, 2012 at 12:39 pm #

Inspired! Sometimes when baking a cake it all just turns out so amazingly well and other times, well as long as it tastes good ;)

x

2. Alpine Mummy November 19, 2012 at 1:10 pm #

That’s fantastic! You will now be one of those faceless people on Pinterest with an amazing cake creation – inspiring (and depressing) other cake-making hopefuls!

My son wants a Lego cake for his fourth birthday. In my head I can totally do it. Past efforts have shown that, in reaility, I cannot. Maybe I’ll follow your lead and do a KitKat/M&Ms cake – four year olds will love that, right?!

• tinkerbelle86 November 19, 2012 at 1:19 pm #

The KitKats hide a multitude of sins, it was a bit leaning tower of Pisa-cake to start off! And i’ve seen all sorts of recipes – minstrels, Oreos, dipped strawberries on top, im sure if you just pick his favourite sweeties it will go down a treat!!
      And I think four year olds love anything with e numbers :)

3. Phil Gayle_For Singles and Couples November 19, 2012 at 1:47 pm #

Looked good, not bad for quickie cake…but way too sweet for me, hope the sugar content was next to none in the actual cake.. ;-)
    Lois, my wife, does cakes of all sorts (regular and for those with allergies and intolerances).
    It makes it really hard to keep my carb in-take down…

4. susielindau November 19, 2012 at 3:40 pm #

What a cake! Fantastic!

5. The Byronic Man November 19, 2012 at 4:18 pm #

Hey, Hyperbole And A Half lives in the same town I do! We haven’t met, though. It’s kind of cool, but it’s also like being a struggling actor and living next to Meryl Streep.

• tinkerbelle86 November 19, 2012 at 4:28 pm #

haha I can imagine, she is awesome. Do you draw? I think that adds a certain sumthin sumthin ;)

• The Byronic Man November 19, 2012 at 5:00 pm #

Actually, I’m working on adding illustrations to some of my posts at this very moment.

• tinkerbelle86 November 19, 2012 at 6:48 pm #

Cue dancing round the kitchen singing a song about not being about to wait for Byronic cartoons :)

• Go Jules Go November 20, 2012 at 5:17 pm #

Yessssssss.

6. twindaddy November 19, 2012 at 6:26 pm #

That looks yummy!

7. Hazel November 19, 2012 at 6:32 pm #

I think you really do take after Mother Superior!

8. Tori Nelson November 19, 2012 at 6:44 pm #

When in doubt, slap some KitKats on it! Woot! Looks amazing, lady. Great job!

• tinkerbelle86 November 19, 2012 at 6:49 pm #

A KitKat hides a multitude of sins…….. except when you eat a whole packet of them and have to wear lycra, and then it shows a multitude of sins…….. I imagine ;)

9. misswhiplash November 19, 2012 at 7:24 pm #

inside every ugly duckling is a beautiful swan waiting to emerge..just like your cake, That looks really yummy and such lovely colours but can I have Smarties instead of M&M’s when you make one for me!!!!

10. Sandra Bell Kirchman November 20, 2012 at 2:33 am #

It’s a beautiful cake, Belle. Maybe your talent lies in making cakes that hide a multitude of sins for the great many of us who can’t bake proper cakes. I baked a birthday cake for my son when he was little. I had to get a friend come and re-ice it, since the vibrant colours and fancy figures all melted into a conglomerate of dull, brackish purple. She scraped off my icing, re-iced it, and used plastic figures to spiff it up. FYI, plastic figures don’t melt into the icing.

So, become Tinkerbelle, the cake doctor :)

11. prenin November 20, 2012 at 6:15 am #

Well done Tinks! :)

If I wasn’t on a diet… Sigh…

Still: I hope the BF appreciates all the work you’ve done! :)

12. Go Jules Go November 20, 2012 at 5:16 pm #

Wowwwww…. All right. I’m celebrating my next birthday with you!!

13. Ann November 21, 2012 at 3:40 pm #

Wow! That cake looks absolutely delicious and so colorful.. It makes you want to start eating just then. Seriously, I can’t see myself making a cake like this! :)

14. Unexpected Traveller (@unexpectedT) November 24, 2012 at 11:18 am #

I can just about feel my arteries harden just at the sight of that photo …

15. Love and Lunchmeat December 11, 2012 at 5:06 pm #

Wow! That cake really does look amazing! I’ve only made two cakes that at the time I thought looked good, an M&M cake for my son, and a cake with a tiara for my daughter’s first birthday. Sadly, when I look at them years later, they don’t look all that good… Probably should have added a pink ribbon.