A Word To The Wise: To Bloggers, PR’s and SEO’s

17 Sep

I have something I want to get off my chest. It’s something that has been bothering me for a while, and I’ve got to the point where I am sick of people being so rude, and want to weigh in with my opinion.

Bloggers and PRs //SEOs.

As my loyal readers know, I have been blogging since I got with the times and ditched my lovely Paperchase notebook. My blog has evolved over the years from a place that my Mum catches up on what I am doing in the big city to a place where I have made friends scattered across the world, get recognition for what I do and get some great opportunities in the process.

And yes, I get a lot of requests from PRs and SEO agencies. And yes, I work for a big global, digital agency myself. So I can see it from both points of view, but being in either camp absolutely does not negate the need to be rude.

I read a lot of blog posts from bloggers who are bitching and whinging about PRs and SEOs, and I read one today about an email she had received from a PR, and it really made me see red.

thundercloud

As a blogger, I get 2 types of emails. The first is a generic email, often addressed to Mr Tinkler (ta guys, I know I look a bit scary sans makeup but MR?! and also, NOT MY NAME) and is generally asking me to write about their casino // men’s pants range // caravan holiday, or even worse, post some generic content. None of these people have taken 5 minutes reading my blog to understand a) my passions and interests b) my readership and what they are interested in reading (clue, the answer is not how to tie knots) and c) don’t even know my name.

But I always stay friendly. As far as I am concerned, the blogs are extensions of me, and therefore I shouldn’t be rude. These sorts of emails receive a polite response stating how I am not interested and if they wouldn’t mind removing me from their database I would appreciate it, thank you, have a nice day.

Then there are the other kind. The PR people (or even SEO people, however much some bloggers think they eat evil for breakfast, the majority are sticking to cornflakes like the rest of the world).  These people have taken the time to either read this blog, or my beauty blog, and are contacting me to see if they can send me something to review, often for free. I don’t have a problem with this. If it is beneficial for me, for example if it is something I might be interested in trying, or I might get paid, then I will see what they have to say. If they do send me something and I have agreed with them I will write about it, then I stick to the professional attitude of maintaining my word, and write about it. I tell the truth (this isn’t a dictatorship) but I do what I said I would do, in the time frame I promised. Because that way I stay true to the professional respect I have come to command, and don’t unnecessarily upset anyone.

3t90so

I’m not ashamed to work for a digital agency, in fact, I am proud. My job is working with people like me, and on the whole, bloggers are happy to discuss and work together on something that benefits them and me. Sure, I work with an SEO team within the agency, but I also work with PR too. Some bloggers seem to have a bee in their bonnet about the amount newspapers get paid to write articles, but a word to the wise – you might get high traffic but the chances are that you aren’t commanding the same levels of readership as the Daily Mail, and for that reason you won’t be getting paid the same either. .

I love bloggers. we are a community of (on the whole) polite and respectful individuals who are professional and act with dignity. And there are some that just give the rest of us a bad name. My advice would be to always think about the person on the receiving end of your email; would you like to receive or read something so nasty? I like to treat people how I wish to be treated, and my opinion is that people who hide behind the faceless anonymity of an email are pathetic.

So to the people who send nasty emails and have delusions of grandeur, I have just one question for you.

What would your Mother say?

8 Responses to “A Word To The Wise: To Bloggers, PR’s and SEO’s”

1. elroyjones September 17, 2013 at 3:26 pm #

My mother would say, “If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all.”
    Good post!

• Katherine Gordy Levine September 17, 2013 at 4:34 pm #

Agree with elroy and posted just yesterday about smiling as an Emotional Fitness Exercise, not the suck it up smiles, but the ones that warm you even if no one is around..

2. prenin September 17, 2013 at 5:38 pm #

My mum would say: “Kick ‘em in the nuts and run like hell!!!” :)

I don’t have this problem – my blog is not searchable, so I have only friends visit! :)

That includes you too Tinkerbubbles!!! :)

Have a great week and look after yourself! :)

God Bless!

3. Sam September 17, 2013 at 6:29 pm #

That saying ‘be careful of the toes you step on today as they may be connected to the foot that kicks your ass tomorrow’ (I think I got it wrong but…the point is there) is so relevant. Being rude to PRs & SEO folk could bite you in the bum later when they land the contract for a brand you like or some such.

Business 101 (and for me decent human 101) is to try be polite & professional in any dealings… though I struggle with this when call centres leave me holding for more than 10 min….

4. philosophermouseofthehedge September 17, 2013 at 10:53 pm #

Big smilies! Well done. being nice doesn’t cost you anything, but not being nice might.

5. The Samantha Scriptures September 18, 2013 at 2:57 am #

Eat evil for Breakfast! I’m in love with it! You should always watch what you say. Fantastic advise I have obviously not learned yet. But well written and when my mouth gets me in trouble, I will remember you warned me to watch it. LOL!!

6. theduffboy September 18, 2013 at 8:21 pm #

3 words: Haters gonna hate. Good to know that you have perspective to keep them in check.

7. 1stpeaksteve September 19, 2013 at 3:53 am #

You and I are on different levels of the blogging world but I am even having some struggles stomaching the behavior of some bloggers.

I am waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the phase that you are excited to get a new person following your blog. Since I am happy that someone is actually looking at my site; I like to be respectful and try to keep up with their site when possible. So I get a little disappointed when I see a new “follow” and then see their site showing how you can earn a billion using their secrets of blog wealth generation.

Uggggggggh.

I guess the world is full of many types. Some wanting to be helpful. Some wanting to share. Some just wanting to find a way to get ahead no matter what.

Have a good week and hopefully it will not involve nursing people.