The Art of Blogging, and Other Pretentious Phrases

19 Oct

Recently my team at work has evolved, and with it we have started a blog. It’s a team effort, with input from different personalities and different subjects to get people involved. Its been really fun.

So this week we decided to offer a new feature, On The Flip Side, where we ask bloggers to guest post on tips they would give to people starting out (if you want to read our first post with the amazing Lauren at Aspiring Kennedy, then click here) Its opened my eyes to a lot of things, and got me thinking about what I would tell people.

When I started this blog, over 3 years ago, I was so reluctant to tell people about it. I had the courage (sounds ridiculous, but to all those who have ever started a blog you’ll know what I mean) to press publish, and my Mum read it diligently every day. That was about it. I put the effort in, thought of things to write and used it as a creative outlet, not even thinking that other people might read it.

blogging-for-business2

Fast forward three years and I’m pretty proud. I’ve never quite achieved that elusive Freshly Pressed, but I have some fantastic amounts of people visiting, subscribing and commenting every day. And every time someone elses comments hit me, I’m thankful. Thankful for the fact that someone is taking the time out to read what I have to say.

Sure, I’ve had negative press, but if someone is bothered enough to talk about you, whether in a complimentary or negative way, they are taking time. So you cant be that bad.

My best advice would be to stick with it. Nothing made me happier than the day something weird happened, and my blog got featured on the front page of StumbleUpon. I woke to stats saying I had achieved 3,200 hits (WHAAAAAT? At 9am?) that day so far, and it snowballed from there. All because a few people hit ‘like’ on a social sharing site. But if you aren’t regularly posting content, then people forget and don’t visit as often. People stop engaging with you and slowly you begin to feel like the kid that didn’t get invited to the birthday party.  Just dont give up!

i-quit

And don’t follow the crowd! I am never going to be a What I Wore blogger. Mainly because 90% of what I wear is pjs. Some days at work all I can dream of is rushing through my front door and being reunited with my yoga pants. JUST IN CASE I want to do yoga. Or alternative, veg out in my baggies.

My blog is my passion. Sometimes I fall out of love with it, like a tempered child, and sometimes the words pop out of my fingertips and into the keyboard like someone left the gate open to a field of stampeding animals; I cant slow the process and I cant control the flow, but that’s OK. The words have a habit of forming in pools that sound right, and it keeps my brain working.

What do you love most about blogging, and what advice you would give for someone ready to dip their toe?

13 Responses to “The Art of Blogging, and Other Pretentious Phrases”

1. I'd Rather Be In Iceland October 19, 2013 at 9:34 am #

I love the community that you get as a regular blogger. Every time I get a bit bored with mine or think it would be a good time to wrap it up, something happens that makes me realise I’d miss all the interactions, and the people you meet. And then somehow another post comes. I’d have to say it’s not for everyone though – probably 90% of the blogs I’ve ever read have fizzled out after a few months. I think having a specific focus or topic helps.

2. prenin October 19, 2013 at 10:22 am #

My advice would be: “This above all to thine own self be true and as night begats day thou shalt not be false to any man.” Or woman! :)

When I started blogging I was extending from the letters I wrote to my regular pen friends, but now I write my thoughts and feelings as they happen and use them as the basis of my letters.

Life is not always a series of crises, but sometimes the advice I get from my readers is damned useful! :)

Rule one though:: DON’T FEED THE TROLLS!!!

There are assholes out there who are incapable of playing nice and should be fed to the sharks via a mincer.

Don’t try to change them, just block them – they aren’t worth the hassle! :(

Love and squishy hugs Tinkerbubbles! ;)

3. ksbeth October 19, 2013 at 11:07 am #

i’d say jump right in, the water’s fine )

4. 1stpeaksteve October 19, 2013 at 2:37 pm #

I see that some people grow their followers and some even are “Freshly Pressed” and from there they have a freak out. “What do I do now to be incredible?”

It’s like being promoted. What you do is learn the position. What you do not do is try to be another person. When you were interviewed; they picked you because you were doing something that they like. They did not ask you to become a dictator or a detective to your subordinates.

So look at your blog and think of why the first people came aboard (besides your mom). Your humor, your story, or maybe your truthfulness. From that point you just be yourself and let growth happen.

• tinkerbelle86 October 22, 2013 at 8:48 am #

Thats such a good analogy :)

• 1stpeaksteve1 October 22, 2013 at 2:18 pm #

I can occasionally muster up a few moments of clarity to write something witty. Thankfully I posted during one of those moments!

Have a groovy week!

5. granny1947 October 19, 2013 at 3:31 pm #

I know just what you mean…I am finding it SO hard to blog at the moment.

6. Twindaddy October 19, 2013 at 4:15 pm #

I love connecting with other people who share your passion to write. That’s been the best part.

7. MyTwoCents October 20, 2013 at 3:01 am #

I love this! Thank you. it is exactly what I needed – a few words of inspiration as I try (again) to get my blog going! Check out Hardly Sucks! if you ever get the time :)

8. philosophermouseofthehedge October 20, 2013 at 7:01 pm #

I’d say “just write” – enjoy it – and let the stats fall where they may.

9. Holly October 23, 2013 at 10:15 am #

I really really enjoyed reading this! I have moments of blogging lots, and loving it! (my first blog like that, my current like that – but sometimes…) it comes down to time. I love thinking up blog posts, but I’m not always sure I’m able to live up to my expectations in words…
    What I do love, always, is reading and following a few precious blogs. I’m an avid reader of a few, linked with them, social network style with people I don’t even know. I’ve made a random friend, we’ve met lots through blogging – that kind of thing I love. But, I also, still have never told anyone I do it… Apart from my girl. I’m v private about it, embarrassed I guess by content and the act (as I think for those who don’t do / or read blogs / they assume it’s heavily self-loving and odd?!)… ANyway, that’s my input. This post was great to read though – glad even those like you who keep it up so well, sometimes don’t find it easy for the words to flow!

• tinkerbelle86 November 11, 2013 at 10:24 pm #

Holly you should be proud!

• My Two Cents November 11, 2013 at 10:47 pm #

Hey Holly! I’m in your boat. I think up these ideas and topics I am
      Excited to blog about, but I’m worried the execution of it won’t pay off. I fear that I can’t quite bring it to life in the way I want. Like you, I also keep my blog “private” in the sense that I do not advertise it to friends I know, but hav no problem sharing anonymously with the world. It is such a treat to run across a few blogs that you absolutely love. It’s wordy inspiration ;)