Things I’ve Learnt In New York

13 Jun

For a city that speaks the same language, London and New York have a lot more differences than I had intially thought.

• A biscuit isn’t a biscuit. A cookie is a biscuit. A biscuit is actually a bread roll. The mind boggles.
  • Anything with cheese flavouring tastes really fake and is bright orange.
  • They don’t spell flavouring right.
  • Despite speaking the same language, I am very difficult to understand.
  • A hamper here is a dirty laundry basket. I learnt that one that hard way, presenting a case study on gift hamper success to a large group of people.

Funniest_Memes_this-is-my-new-york-accent-normally-i-write_10357

• It’s not customary to let people off the subway before you get on. It makes me feel very British, and highly irritated.
  • The subway is a whole new beast. It’s not like the tube. It goes all sorts of ways on different days, it stops in funny places, sometimes it doesn’t stop and the announcer man talks so quietly that one can only guess what he said.
  • A pizza pie is a whole pizza, rather than a slice. I thought it was a calzone (it seemed sensible to me)
  • Cockroaches are much bigger than I thought. MUCH BIGGER.

images

• The pound sign isn’t a pound sign. It means the hash sign. Imagine my confusion when on the phone being prompted to press the pound sign. In my head I’m picturing the (£). The American voice on the phone is meaning the (#). Luckily I could call a fuzzy memory from my American colleague and pressed in the nick of time, but I had total phone pressure.
  • The chocolate tastes funny.

Have you been to New York? What did you find different to your city?

8 Responses to “Things I’ve Learnt In New York”

1. prenin June 13, 2014 at 1:49 am #

If you need to remove a pencil mark, for God’s sake don’t ask for a rubber!!! LoL!!! :)

God Bless! :)

2. Rajiv June 13, 2014 at 2:42 am #

About the rubber, so true! I grew up learning “British English”, so I had similar problems in the USA. Jelly, for instance, is not the jelly in England.

3. Go Jules Go June 13, 2014 at 2:11 pm #

You should make this topic a new blog series! I can’t stop giggling over the pound sign.

• tinkerbelle86 June 13, 2014 at 6:48 pm #

Oy vey! I have tons! Those self flushing toilets for a start…..

4. thenakedlistener June 13, 2014 at 4:23 pm #

You ask for a cup of coffee and they always ask back “What kind?”

5. mariner2mother June 14, 2014 at 5:11 am #

I’ve never been to New York City, although I can definitely relate to some of your experiences when I’ve been in England. A while back, I was looking to order what we call a food gift basket for my brother and his family for Christmas. Because they live in England these days, I decided to use Amazon UK to order and discovered these are called hampers. I get French fries, in the UK you order chips. And pants are called trousers there. The toilet is the loo. And drinks are ordered by the pint or half pint. And don’t even get me started on driving. It was hard enough to figure out which way to look when I was walking around, crossing the street.

6. Aussa Lorens June 16, 2014 at 5:32 pm #

Haha aw! This was cute. The NYC subway originates in the bowels of hell. I remember the first time I rode the tube, I was amazed at how clean it was, how easy to navigate, that you could actually hear the conductor, that everything was so polite and “mind the gap.” Then you go to NYC and people are fornicating between the subway benches and it hasn’t occurred to them to post a map of the line inside the subway, nope that would make too much sense.

• tinkerbelle86 June 16, 2014 at 6:48 pm #

Haha! And the shiny plastic seats totally got me. The train stopped suddenly and i ended up in someones lap. I regained a love for the tube with its slightly gross, not sure what happened there fabric seats! I’ve also seen a dead rat and a cockroach. “Urban wildlife”